The railway Oraviţa-Anina was inaugurated on December 15, 1863, the first mountain railway (and fourth built) on the territory of Romania.
It was built by the Austrians between the years 1855 – 1863, when Banat was part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire and the first locomotive, named “Steyerdorf” built in 1861, it was brought from Vienna by boat on the Danube to Moldova Noua and from there pulled by 40 pairs of oxen to Oraviţa.
Making them aimed transportation of coal (coal) mined from Anina to Oravita, and from there by rail Oraviţa-Baziaş to the Danube, to be loaded into inland waterway vessels. It consists of 14 tunnels with a total length of 2,084 m, and 10 viaducts, through line Anina Mountains. It was named Semmering Banat.
This portion of the site is “The railway Oraviţa-Anina-Baziaş” being classified as historic monuments (LMI code CS-II-AA 10949.02).